Author Topic: Spencer’s Level (Via Gellia) CROMFORD  (Read 1659 times)

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
Re: Spencer’s Level (Via Gellia) CROMFORD
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2021, 06:11:24 pm »
We once found a sheep's skull in a mine, lying alongside a railed cartgate, about 30m from a climbing shaft up to it, and the entrance of the climbing shaft was only accessible from a landing on the engine shaft, and that was 50m underground. We never found the rest of the sheep skeleton, but we did find what appeared to be a fox (or dog) skeleton near the bottom of the mine at about 120m deep, but at the base of a series of interlinked climbing shafts. So maybe there was a 'battle royale' once upon a time, and they both lost. Or a miner had a taste for sheep heads for lunch.

Offline Cantclimbtom

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2021, 06:41:39 pm »
When at some point I return to where I was on Friday I'll take an alternative route between 23 and 33ftm (rather than the "trade route" I took) and go looking for the horse! There... that's one upmanship on sheep carcasses.
Expert in incompetent tomfoolery

Offline Brains

• forum hero
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2021, 07:10:41 pm »
There is a sheep skull in Hillocks that came out of the fill in the Whalf climbing shaft when it was dug out, together with several other bones and some rusty pitchfork heads.
Pretoria at Bakewell has a cow skull (jaw, etc) but that is near the base of a filled in shaft.

Offline Tripod

• addict
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2021, 08:52:34 am »
I found a complete Badger skeleton when involved in gating a Black Marble mine some years ago. Laid out perfectly symmetrically as though the Badger had found a quiet, peaceful dark place and just passed away. Finding the odd Owl skull has been interesting.

Offline T pot 2

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2021, 09:50:11 am »
In raddle pits mine in the level above the spiral staircase there used to be a full sheep skeleton laid out perfectly,  the level was 160ft below surface

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal