Author Topic: Very silly pics  (Read 289080 times)

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
Re: Very silly pics
« Reply #1375 on: May 13, 2021, 04:45:59 pm »
If you appreciate old stoves you light like this site:

https://classiccampstoves.com/

Offline royfellows

• forum hero
    • mineexplorer.com
« Reply #1376 on: May 13, 2021, 06:17:41 pm »
Mine is very important to me as its 'essential kit' for my particular lifestyle.

It was given to me by my next door neighbour and still in its original green paint. Of course is was NG due to the washer having shrivelled up, but a new one from a Tilley spares kit soon put it right. Boils a big kettle in a matter of minutes. People who like gas are welcome.

I have another brand new primus. A local camping shop owner with whom i got into conversation mentioned they had one somewhere and he would look for it for next time I called.
Yes brand new and still in its original box, I would say circa 1950s. A tenner and he was a happy. Its one of the small back packer type, I keep it as a standby, all of the mid wales digs are fuelled by bacon and eggs cooked outside. I have done snow, but its terrible when it lands in the frying pan.

Your all weird on here and that is why I feel completely at home.
 :lol:
My avatar is a poor likeness.

Online Brains

• forum hero
« Reply #1377 on: May 13, 2021, 07:22:12 pm »
Cartoons do not have to be funny, that is a modern view. Originally they were for political satire, propaganda and making points to a barely literate readership... Think of the likes of Regency English posters and pamphlets.
Of course cartoons date back well before this but I would suggest the ease of printing and distribution from this time, and the shenanigans of the Prince Regent began the trend toward modern cartoons, only becoming "funny" much more recently.

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #1378 on: May 13, 2021, 07:41:48 pm »
You just beat me to it, so I'll only add that complaining about cartoons in an open thread is not a good look. Though arguably funnier than the actual cartoon. Yet again the medium is not the message, but but hey-ho, we are where we are. I most humbly apologise for offending the online sensibilities of a small handful of people and will desist from posting any more 'political' cartoons. Or probably non-political either. But I would love to see some Daily Mail cartoons which I'm sure are side-splitting.

Online PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • ChCC, WCC, SWCC, WCDG
« Reply #1379 on: May 13, 2021, 07:51:00 pm »
Cartoons do not have to be funny

This thread isn't called "cartoons" though is it.

I think the point of the thread is simple, light hearted, entertainment. Very silly pictures that make people smile or laugh.

I don't think anyone is offended by the Guardian cartoons, merely stating that they really aren't very entertaining.

Offline Jenny P

• junky
« Reply #1380 on: May 13, 2021, 09:15:59 pm »

I love that website!  It's totally nerd!   And I used to love my two primus stoves (an old half-pint one and a newer 1 pint one) because they made a really satisfying roaring noise so you knew you were cooking something good.

Offline Jenny P

• junky
« Reply #1381 on: May 13, 2021, 09:19:05 pm »
And I like Guardian cartoons as well - only Phil usually posts them on here before I've got round to reading that edition of the paper.  I always read the Grauniad right through so it takes me ages and I'm usually several days behind - if I want up-to-date news headlines I get them off Classic FM.  So that's me pigeonholed then!

Offline RobinGriffiths

• forum hero
« Reply #1382 on: May 13, 2021, 10:07:01 pm »
You just beat me to it, so I'll only add that complaining about cartoons in an open thread is not a good look. Though arguably funnier than the actual cartoon. Yet again the medium is not the message, but but hey-ho, we are where we are. I most humbly apologise for offending the online sensibilities of a small handful of people and will desist from posting any more 'political' cartoons. Or probably non-political either. But I would love to see some Daily Mail cartoons which I'm sure are side-splitting.

DM cartoons, should they exist, will probably come with a creepy speech bubble saying "all grown up". Although I notice, post Epstein, Harris, Saville and [name redacted on legal advice], they seem to have quietly retired that phrase.

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #1383 on: May 14, 2021, 08:13:19 am »

I love that website!  It's totally nerd!   And I used to love my two primus stoves (an old half-pint one and a newer 1 pint one) because they made a really satisfying roaring noise so you knew you were cooking something good.

There is nothing quite like the roar of an Optimus 111B "Sidewinder" paraffin stove (the proper pre-silent burner model). All these fancy gas stoves should be banned because folk in surrounding tents can underhandedly make sneaky solo brews.

Er, sorry; this risks drifting off topic . . .

Offline royfellows

• forum hero
    • mineexplorer.com
« Reply #1384 on: May 14, 2021, 09:03:35 am »
Just for the avoidance of doubt re my original post re the cartoons. The point i was trying to make is that I just dont understand them, cant see the message assuming there is one.
I cant be offended by something that i dont even understand and do not 'do' offended anyway.
Am I a snowflake? Dont bother to answer.

I really dont think I can be any clearer than this. Show me an 'ink blot', all I see is an ink blot. And for all of any 'message' I get from a Guardian cartoon, it may as well be an ink blot.

Offline topcat

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #1385 on: May 14, 2021, 09:11:32 am »
I dont know whether its just me but every cartoon posted here taken from The Guardian basically says nothing to me.

I sit looking at them for several minutes but no wiser at the end.

Another planet?

You're supposed to sit in your Toyota Prius, look over the top of your glasses, rub your beard, wry smile, nod sagely then drive home and throw another sustainable log on the AGA ready to brew a cup of sustainably sourced fair-trade herbal tea.

You just don't fit the demographic Roy, sorry!

Shit.  That's me to a T. (Except for the AGA: it's just a wood burner).
And I didn't get the 'humour' either.......

(The Prius is really the wife's, so maybe I'm not totally doomed? )

Offline sinker

• stalker
  • O-Level woodwork BlockbusterVideo Gold Card
« Reply #1386 on: May 14, 2021, 10:28:13 am »

….or an AGA (am I missing out?).

Yes!
Ah, well, now, you see...erm...

Offline sinker

• stalker
  • O-Level woodwork BlockbusterVideo Gold Card
« Reply #1387 on: May 14, 2021, 10:39:54 am »
Just for the avoidance of doubt re my original post re the cartoons. The point i was trying to make is that I just dont understand them, cant see the message assuming there is one.
I cant be offended by something that i dont even understand and do not 'do' offended anyway.
Am I a snowflake? Dont bother to answer.

I really dont think I can be any clearer than this. Show me an 'ink blot', all I see is an ink blot. And for all of any 'message' I get from a Guardian cartoon, it may as well be an ink blot.

I think the Grauniad cartoons are VERY CLEVER and I have always loved the artwork so please carry on posting them; I'm not "complaining about them on an open forum" but nit sure why that is not a "good look".
I just don't understand a lot of them but that's probably me being ignorant of the political situation in the middle east.

I don't need anyone to explain to why they are "funny" as I know they are not necessarily meant to be, I simply don't understand. Can someone enlighten me about that last one?

:)
Ah, well, now, you see...erm...

Offline crickleymal

• forum hero
« Reply #1388 on: May 14, 2021, 12:39:48 pm »
I like them too.
Malc
Rusted and ropy, dog-eared old copy.
Vintage and classic or just plain Jurassic:
all words to describe me.

Offline royfellows

• forum hero
    • mineexplorer.com
« Reply #1389 on: May 14, 2021, 12:50:46 pm »
Its the Hartlepool one that is really the most "Planet Zod" to me.

It looks like something from H.P. Lovecraft, or is that actually the point?

Maybe the kind of 'clever' one has to be to see them isn't my type of clever, mine exploring and history, 19th Cent military technology, electronics, computers, basic coding, mechanics, karate, aikido, building and general DIY, plus a few more of my interests which others have remarked my skills as "clever".
Of course, all of these are practical skills, useful in a real world. I say no more.

Online PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • ChCC, WCC, SWCC, WCDG
« Reply #1390 on: May 14, 2021, 01:02:23 pm »

This might help a bit with that one: https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofEngland/The-Hanging-of-the-Hartlepool-Monkey/

Offline royfellows

• forum hero
    • mineexplorer.com
« Reply #1391 on: May 14, 2021, 01:19:32 pm »

This might help a bit with that one: https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofEngland/The-Hanging-of-the-Hartlepool-Monkey/

Thanks for that, what an interesting tale. Suspicions of the french endured throughout the 19th cent and were mainly responsible for the ironclad building frenzy, and therein lies yet another tale.

Online ChrisJC

• Funky
  • forum hero
    • http://www.cowdery.org.uk
« Reply #1392 on: May 14, 2021, 01:21:49 pm »

It does detract from the joke a bit when you need an encyclopedia entry to give sufficient background to make it funny.

I prefer the Viz jokes or the short edgy ones from Tony. My simple mind can get them.

Chris.
--
http://www.cowdery.org.uk
Mines, caves,
Land Rovers

Online PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • ChCC, WCC, SWCC, WCDG
« Reply #1393 on: May 14, 2021, 02:14:58 pm »
Keeping to the political theme, here's one from The Spectator  this morning.
No encyclopaedia reference required, but a vague awareness of current affairs useful  :lol:

Offline Jenny P

• junky
« Reply #1394 on: May 14, 2021, 02:31:04 pm »
I thought we were being promised something from the Daily Mail - this one's an up-market rag again!

Online ChrisJC

• Funky
  • forum hero
« Reply #1395 on: May 14, 2021, 03:03:25 pm »
As promised!
--
Mines, caves,
Land Rovers

Online ChrisJC

• Funky
  • forum hero
« Reply #1396 on: May 14, 2021, 03:04:24 pm »
But don't tell anyone it was me  :-[ - Daily Mail readers are persona non grata in these parts...   :icon_321:

Chris.
--
Mines, caves,
Land Rovers

Online PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • ChCC, WCC, SWCC, WCDG
« Reply #1397 on: May 14, 2021, 03:05:38 pm »
I thought we were being promised something from the Daily Mail - this one's an up-market rag again!

How's this for you?

Offline royfellows

• forum hero
    • mineexplorer.com
« Reply #1398 on: May 14, 2021, 03:56:29 pm »

I prefer the Viz jokes or the short edgy ones from Tony. My simple mind can get them.

Chris.

Simple mind my ass, this guy is a uni qualified electronics engineer, and a bit clever with Landys as well, I gather.
I am in truth something of an historian, but had not heard of the Hartlepool monkey.

Offline Graigwen

• forum star
« Reply #1399 on: May 14, 2021, 07:21:29 pm »

I am in truth something of an historian, but had not heard of the Hartlepool monkey.

It is part of the rich tapestry of English thinking.

In Borrowdale it is supposed the locals built a wall across the valley, to keep the cuckoo in. Smart eh? If the cuckoo did not fly south, it would be summer all the year round.

....and as for Moonrakers...

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal