Foreign cave rescue

nickwilliams

I need to compile a list of countries which have have an indigenous rescue service. This is in the context of the Snowcard insurance scheme where insurance cover is chosen on the basis of whether or not self-rescue would be required.

I'll start with two countries I am certain about:

- France
- USA

Please can others who know what the situation is in other countries post to add to this list?

Thanks

Nick.

Penguin

Ireland. 

The Irish Cave Rescue Organisation covers both Northern Ireland (under the PSNI) and the Republic of Ireland (under the Garda S?och?na).

jarvist

Slovenia - JRS (Jamarska re?evalna slu?ba, Caving Rescue Service) service as part of the JZS (Jamarska zveza Slovenije) national speleo organisation (http://www.jamarska-zveza.si/).

I believe the funding situation is slowly changing, and they now do charge for the helicopter component of the rescue.

I did a rescue shout with them six years ago, and a follow up training day, they've a couple hundred rescuers & are extremely well equipped, and heavily integrated with the alpine rescue. Watching the rescuers getting dropped off by an army helicopter hovering against a 60-deg scree slope was pretty impressive!

Croatia - http://www.speleologija.hr/rescue/
I believe a similar size + setup to the Slovenian rescue, but no direct experience other than having caved with a couple of their members.

Amy

If you need any more detail on the US system feel free to ask me. I'm a part of the Huntsville Cave Rescue Unit.

barrabus

I believe Poland have a team of some description because a number of them joined the CRO on a practice last May.

I can probably get contact details for you if you want, I'll ask tomorrow night.

Les W

Spain has a formal cave rescue system.
I believe it's organised by region and delegated to local teams by regional government.
Although Juan or Pete Smith will have more info on that if needed.

nickwilliams

Thanks to all contributors so far.

Can I stress that I don't need to contact local rescue teams, I simply need to know of their existence so we can provide Snowcard with a list of places where rescue will be dealt with by a local rescue team rather than an expedition team having to organise their own rescue.

Keep 'em coming.

Nick.

Hungary has at least one rescue team - one of their members gave a talk at the MCRO practice weekend last year.
There is a national organisation in New Zealand

ian mckenzie

western Canada - both Alberta and BC have CROs which do training and coordination but rely on volunteers to do the work.  Also our national parks have assumed responsibility for wilderness rescue, though they have no in-house cave rescue program.

SamT

Thinking about places that are becoming popular destinations - What about the balkans - I'm fairly sure Albania DOESNT.  Montenegro???

hrock

out of interest is it likely to be cheaper to cave in a country with or with out rescue.

as some of the rescue teams charge and some don't.

if its your expedition members rescuing you i would have thought that would be cheap but then if you have to fiy a teem out that would be well pricey.

all speculation i guess