TECHNICAL FORUMS > National Access Discussions

Right to Roam: CROW Act turns 20

<< < (2/5) > >>

aricooperdavis:

--- Quote from: Fjell on December 02, 2020, 04:23:08 pm ---We have a very dense network of public footpaths in England that works just fine.

--- End quote ---

In the last month I've encountered footpaths that are unpassable due to years worth of overgrowth, styles that have rolls of barbed wire put over them, bridges that have been demolished, gates that are padlocked shut, and footpath signs that have been removed. Just today I had an argument with a landowner who refused to acknowledge that he had a public footpath through his field despite me entering it over a style with a public footpath sign on it and it being marked on my OS map. I must submit issue reports to the council on an almost weekly basis!

Footpaths might work just fine in some places, but not here...

Fjell:

--- Quote from: aricooperdavis on December 02, 2020, 09:34:13 pm ---
--- Quote from: Fjell on December 02, 2020, 04:23:08 pm ---We have a very dense network of public footpaths in England that works just fine.

--- End quote ---

In the last month I've encountered footpaths that are unpassable due to years worth of overgrowth, styles that have rolls of barbed wire put over them, bridges that have been demolished, gates that are padlocked shut, and footpath signs that have been removed. Just today I had an argument with a landowner who refused to acknowledge that he had a public footpath through his field despite me entering it over a style with a public footpath sign on it and it being marked on my OS map. I must submit issue reports to the council on an almost weekly basis!

Footpaths might work just fine in some places, but not here...

--- End quote ---

Which county is this?

aricooperdavis:

--- Quote from: Fjell on December 02, 2020, 10:42:25 pm ---Which county is this?

--- End quote ---

Cornwall - it's embarrassing, quite honestly.

NeilC:

--- Quote from: Fjell on December 02, 2020, 04:23:08 pm ---It is utterly idiotic to give right to roam over cultivated farmland. There are a vast number of excellent reasons that is excluded from CRoW. We have a very dense network of public footpaths in England that works just fine.
--- End quote ---

Why is it 'utterly idiotic'? The right to roam in Scotland gives a right of responsible access to almost all land and water and works very well. The key word here is 'responsible' (the Scottish Outdoor Access code gives a very comprehensive explanation as to what exactly constitutes responsible behaviour). As long as people stick to field margins where crops are growing, leave gates as they find them, don't leave litter or dog mess, etc, why shouldn't they access cultivated farmland?   

Roger W:
The problem is probably with those who, rejoicing in their "right to roam," do trample on crops, walk across cultivated fields to get to the stile on the other side instead of going round the edge, allow their dogs to run wild and leave gates open...

I mean, we have people round our way who - obviously - have the right to walk up and down our road, but then leave their empty polystyrene food boxes in the street, their beer cans in people's hedges and their dog muck all over the pavement.  Such folk aren't in the majority, of course - but the few who do behave like that are a perishing nuisance.  I don't suppose they would act any differently in the country.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
Go to full version