ORGANISATIONS > BCA

Hustings for BCA Chair election: please send questions you want put

(1/10) > >>

David Rose:
This year there are two candidates to be the next BCA Chair: the incumbent, Russell Myers, who stepped up from his previous role as Secretary when Phil Rowsell resigned last year, and Rostam Namaghi, who currently serves as Publicity and Information officer.

Both have been involved in caving and the association for many years, although Rostam is somewhat younger.

In about ten days time - the date is yet to be fixed, but it may well be September 16 - I am going to conduct an online hustings, a recorded Zoom call, which will be accessible afterwards on the BCA website and, I imagine, here. I hope it may be possible to live-stream it, too.

This post is to invite members to contact me if they have questions they would like me to put to the candidates, on any issue relating to the job. You can PM me here or email me direct, at david@davidroseuk.com. Please put BCA Hustings in the subject line if you do, so I spot any emails that end up in my junk filter.

The AGM will be held online on Sunday, October 10, starting at 10.30am. There will be electronic voting for this and other appointments, and on motions.

Badlad:
David. I would like you to ask each candidate about how they intend to deal with minority but powerful voices within the association who tend to influence matters sometimes against the stated will of the majority. These influential minorities have used all sorts of dirty tactics in the past to disrupt and delay the will of the majority. It takes a strong and determined lead from the chair to stand up for what is often a less vocal majority and this has been a major failing in the past leading to some highly unsatisfactory outcomes which have been well publicised and led to a loss of some really good volunteers and a sour taste for many. The incumbent being no better than his predecessors in this respect Imo.

aricooperdavis:
I'd be interested to hear how the two candidates would deal with securing the volunteer "workforce" that drives the BCA. The BCA has the potential to be a really rewarding organization to volunteer with, and yet we've seen a lot of volunteers leave feeling embittered, and don't have new ones lining up to fill the gaps. For an organization that relies on volunteer effort to operate this feels just as important as managing the bank balance, and yet I haven't seen much active work to address this. So I'd like to hear suggestions from each about what should be done to protect the BCAs future by securing the volunteer workforce (e.g. enhancing the volunteer experience and selling the BCA as a desirable organization to volunteer for).

Ian Adams:
Badlad +1 please .... this "minority voice" has managed to cause the resignation of so many excellent volunteers to the (significant) detriment of the BCA committee and the organisation as a whole.

Tim is too gracious to say this but both himself and Jane have been such targets. Tim suffered horrendous abuse and brick walls during his tenure of CRoW liaison officer and Jane's momentum and hard work promoting the BCA was shot down with a minority scud missile.   

Most of us know who the other "high profile" victims/targets are too.

As Tim has asked, it would be excellent to know how the two prospective candidates hope to prevent such atrocities recurring.

Ian

PeteHall:

--- Quote from: David Rose on September 04, 2021, 05:39:11 pm ---In about ten days time - the date is yet to be fixed, but it may well be September 16 - I am going to conduct an online hustings, a recorded Zoom call, which will be accessible afterwards on the BCA website and, I imagine, here. I hope it may be possible to live-stream it, too.

--- End quote ---

Is this an official BCA event and is it being/ has it been, advertised through official BCA channels?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
Go to full version