Author Topic: Wrist watches for caving  (Read 1465 times)

Offline Paul Marvin

• forum star
  • Bronze, Silver & Gold Swimming Certificates, WGAS
Re: Wrist watches for caving
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2021, 06:12:48 pm »
On e-bay F91W https://www.burningimage.net/genuine-and-fake-casio-f91w/ of course most will be genuine?

Fake or not does it keep water out and tell the time ? thats all that matters to me .  ;D
I dont know where I am going, but will know where I am when I get there.

Online paul

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Orpheus CC, NPC
    • Orpheus Caving Club
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2021, 06:23:55 pm »
I've used Casio watches for decades. No idea how many over all but just the basic 50m or 100m water resistant with a backlight. Not just for caving but all the time. I find the stopwatch function useful for above ground navigation. The batteries never run out but the rubber strap breaks eventually and I just buy a new replacement watch.
I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are missing!

Online Cantclimbtom

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2021, 06:41:10 pm »
...h got a Huawei Watch GT (note, not "GT2", that's a different beast). This is a "dumb" smart watch... battery lasts for 3-4 weeks with normal use... Can get new off eBay for ~£80 or second hand (but still good condition) for £40....
Nothing to do with underground stuff but that might be exactly what I need as depending on how things go, I might be after a barometric altimeter watch next summer and I don't currently own one. Will remember, thanks
Expert in incompetent tomfoolery

Offline FionaH

• NPC / ICCC
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2021, 08:25:09 pm »
Casio all the way. Bought a W-59 in 2013 and it's only really run out of juice this year. A bit scratched, yes, and the sidelight got too dim to use in any circumstance except caving by about 2018 haha, but it's still trying to this day :lol:

I have a F91W now because I lost the other one for a while. Like Paul I find the straps go first. You can buy nylon straps on ebay and attach or you can also sometimes buy a multi-pack of replacement straps for the same price as a new watch.

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2021, 08:47:54 pm »
Rolexes are actually very good; better to avoid scratching them by wearing gloves/wristbands over the top though, as per earlier comment above. Submariner better than Oyster perpetual datejust or Explorer.

Offline Wardy

• addict
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2021, 09:42:59 pm »
Unfortunately I am still not old enough or responsible enough to wear a watch.
I also thought that caving was supposed to be a great way to get away from the time pressures daily life tries to impose on us.
I like most of you have a remarkably accurate sense of thirst that helps me arrive at the right place prior to closing time. Uncanny really and has worked for over 35 years, maybe if it begins to fail that will be the signal to wear a watch.
So save the face of your rolex and dont buy the casio, blow the money on an after trip pint.
Needing a watch at work however is useful if you charge by the hour, but I wasn't aware that Badlad had become a solicitor, so does that mean his irata assessment are now based on rope manoeuvres against the clock :o 

Offline Speleofish

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2021, 07:30:22 am »
I've also generally used Casios as they're hard to destroy. My first one survived 6 months in a tropical jungle, a 40m fall onto rocks in the Berger (which cracked its face but it still functioned) and eventually ran out of battery about a year later. I've had several since - I tried G-shocks but found them too bulky, so went back to the cheap and cheerful ones.

Offline JoshW

• junky
  • YSS, WSCC, BCA Youth & Development, BCA Group Rep
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2021, 09:09:49 am »
I just keep my Apple Watch on. Gotta track those calories :lol:
All views are my own and not that of the BCA or any clubs for which I'm a member of.

Online Rob

• forum hero
  • The Eldon
    • Eldon PC
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2021, 10:29:54 am »
Another advantage i like of smart watches, and whilst not caving related exactly it is related to building and general messy jobs, is that you can check incoming messages (whatsapp, sms, calls, etc) without having to get your phone out of your pocket with your filthy hands.

I know this may seem silly, but there are some calls i really do need to take, especially work or family related, and if you are, say, halfway through clipping a messy sheep's bottom it's a faff checking your phone even when it's some random withheld number calling.
The end is where we start....

Offline mak

• A Butcombe drinking
  • obsessive maniac
  • mmmm.........beer Wessex Cave Club
    • Wessex Cave Club
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2021, 05:01:31 pm »
I wear my Garmin fenix 3 for normal caving but have a scratch cover (transparent stick on) and keep it under gloves/neoprene I use cut off long wetsocks instead of elbow pads as they cover both elbows and forearms, it has held up well so far although I have not been digging with it.
I have transitory tourettes syndrome - I swear profusely in the presence of idiots :tease:

Offline Leclused

• forum star
    • The Avalon Blog
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2021, 05:03:37 pm »
Dagobert L'Ecluse (SC Avalon - Belgium)
http://www.scavalon.be
http://scavalon.blogspot.be

Offline Paul Marvin

• forum star
  • Bronze, Silver & Gold Swimming Certificates, WGAS
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2021, 06:45:37 pm »
I dont know where I am going, but will know where I am when I get there.

Offline blackshiver

• stalker
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2021, 07:05:31 pm »
Timex analogue expedition or camper with a nato strap for climbing and caving for me. I usually have one for Sunday best and relegate the other to caving duties when it gets a bit scruffy. The current caving one is probably ten years old at least.
They are bombproof, can be had for a few quid. The Indiglo feature is very useful in club huts when drunk in the dark and trying to find the dorm door for more cheese / beer / The Bog.
Well recommended.
I have a plan so cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel.

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2021, 07:34:15 pm »
Careful, blackshiver, cap'n chris will be saying 'I told you so'.   ;D

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2021, 07:43:28 pm »
Careful, blackshiver, cap'n chris will be saying 'I told you so'.   ;D

Doubt it. I stay in hotels.

Offline Judi Durber

• forum star
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2021, 11:38:03 pm »
I use cut off long wetsocks instead of elbow pads as they cover both elbows and forearms

Great tip,  :thumbsup: thank you mak  ;D
We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life waiting for us.

Online aricooperdavis

• Global Moderator
  • forum star
  • Cornwall to Cumbria
    • Cooper-Davis.net
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2021, 07:47:18 am »
Timex analogue expedition or camper with a nato strap for climbing and caving for me.

That is a nice looking option! And I do like the timex movements. I find that NATO straps stay soggy and stain a bit after particularly wet and muddy trips, so prefer rubber/resin ones.

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2021, 03:48:38 pm »
I’ve never liked digital watches, only ones with numbers and fingers that go round . . . no reason, really. Anyway some time last century I bought a Traser watch on special offer at Hidden Earth, and for nearly a quarter of a century it was my constant companion. It did a lot of caving, a bit of white-water rafting and a bit of diving to modest depths (20-odd metres) so when finally one of the lugs broke and it was deemed by Traser to be unmendable, I bought another one that’s water-resistant to 200 m (not that I’ll ever go anywhere near that depth ... except, perhaps, by accident or if somebody ties me up and chucks me in the drink) – still, it’s nice to have a bit in reserve.

It’s also radioactive and glows in the dark:

Offline royfellows

• forum hero
    • mineexplorer.com
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2021, 11:01:30 am »
By an amazing "coincidence" I have just had an email from eBay "Price drop on Casio watches". Amazing in that I have not searched or looked at these on eBay for years!

Also, the Sekonda I was bragging about has now stopped, but think its the battery.

I have dug out the 20 -25 year old G-Shock out of a rummage box into where it had disappeared. Dirty, dusty, but its trusty little heart still beating fine.
This is possibly the one product I would unreservedly recommend.
My avatar is a poor likeness.

Offline wormster

• addict
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2021, 02:57:25 pm »
I used to have a Ten Pound Ticker Timex watch exclusively for caving.
You die - We split you kit!

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal