Author Topic: Caving booking etiquette  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Cantclimbtom

• menacing presence
Re: Caving booking etiquette
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2021, 05:28:07 pm »
Thanks CNCC for the detailed explanation

I'm aware that some places can be accessed without going via a booking system, even (so I hear...) many common padlocks can sometimes open/close without leaving a trace and nobody being the wiser. However I'm aware of the access situation having been negotiated with landowners and so intend to do everything as legitimately, courteously and respectfully as possible to maintain everyone's current access.

Assuming of course that weather is clement and my trip goes ahead...  I'll be sure to feedback estimated rope lengths, deviations etc if anything significant, following https://cncc.org.uk/caving/report/topo-error.php

I understand that you cannot endorse the use of any anchors that haven't been CNCC installed/tested but if it was the case that deviations were actually necessary to land on the ledge (I have yet to discover the facts here) and they were omitted from the topo then it would be misleading. So I guess there's a balancing act there. I still think you should include some unapproved anchors/deviation with a skull and crossbones symbol and "do not use" in the key to cover yourselves if a topo was misleading otherwise. As mentioned no idea yet if that applies here :)

All the topos online and all the advice generously given here is greatly appreciated!
Expert in incompetent tomfoolery

Offline CNCC

• addict
    • CNCC
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2021, 06:29:46 pm »
We've not had any replies to our above post regarding the missing deviation anchors or rope lengths, so one of our anchor installers has kindly taken this on as a project and will be making a visit to assess what anchors are where (and to investigate the nature of the 'missing' deviation anchors), and to review rope lengths. We'll get the topo updated based on his findings, hopefully in the next couple of months.

Thank you to everyone for flagging this up!  ;D
Council of Northern Caving Clubs; Working together for northern caving since 1963

Offline Cantclimbtom

• menacing presence
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2021, 07:55:07 pm »
Unless you can also guarantee dry weather for the tail end of Aug please? you're pretty much covering everything possible. Thank you again
Expert in incompetent tomfoolery

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal