Author Topic: What's your worst (or most comical) non-caving caving injury?  (Read 2304 times)

Online PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Just for a bit of fun, as an offshoot from the "should I go caving" thread,

What's your worst (or most comical) non-caving, caving injury?

I'm thinking pre-trip, post-trip, in the club hut, in the pub, in the garage sorting kit, whatever you like, so long as there is a vague connection to caving.

My worst injury was a badly twisted ankle as I got back to the car. I survived the trip, I survived an hours walk off the fell in the dark, but trod in a pothole on the road, less than 100 yards from the car.  :-[

Other classics have been taking the top of my finger off while cutting the insulting tape I was using to mark rope lengths and putting my head through a tube light bulb while dancing on the table at Bull Pot Farm (before it became so civilised).

I've also torn my hands to shreds on furniture staples while playing sofa rugby...

So what about everyone else?
The distance between stupidity and genius is measured only by success.

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
Re: What's your worst (or most comical) non-caving caving injury?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 12:21:24 am »
Two years ago I was getting ready for a long round-trip in Speedwell, taking my friend Domee to all the main sites - Titan, Cliff Cavern, Bathing Pool, Bung Hole stopes etc., and we were just about finished getting changed at the TSG - I just had to put my wetsuit socks on. I stepped backwards and put my foot on the screw sleeve of a large steel carabiner, which slid across the concrete floor and it bloody hurt. Undeterred, we set off and spent the planned six hours underground - the nice cold water doing a good job of stopping my foot throbbing, though I was limping a bit. When we got back to the Chapel I took my wellies and socks off to see my foot was a father funny shape and colour - a sort of purply-green marbled effect. Hmmm. And it did hurt a bit more, now it was warm.

Anyway, I took pain-killers and ignored it, as you do, and limped around for another day at home until a friend visited late afternoon and watched me hobbling and suggested he give me a lift to the hospital - where they did an X-ray and showed me a picture of the obviously-broken meta-tarsal of my right little toe. "I thought it was hurting", I feebly said, as the nurse gave me the raised eyebrows when I mentioned it was 'yesterday morning'. But she did accept I was brave to go caving so as to not let my friend down. You can't have a cast on that, so you just have to limp around until it's healed, which she said would take six weeks 'basic' and six months 'full'. I think I lasted three weeks and then we started caving again - we had to, there was a lot of work on. Most of it was fine, but SRT was a bastard for a year really - no matter how much I padded the footloop it still hurt, and my left foot is hopeless for prussicking. I took a month off rope-access but even they started pestering me after a while.

No-one has built me even a small statue yet for my heroism. but I bet they still laugh at Speedwell remembering me trying to get back up the 106 steps and still look cool ;)

Online tamarmole

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 12:31:37 am »
I used to spend a lot of time digging in Pen y Ghent Gill which is possibly the coldest place on earth.  Whilst getting changed very quickly in a forlorn attempt to keep warm I managed to get "a very tender part of my anatomy" firmly caught in the zip of my furry suit, much to the delight of my so called mates who suggested that they should call out CRO to rescue me from my predicament.  Much to my chagrin I later ended up going to hospital resulting in my chums nicknaming me the rabbi!

Obviously this was the fault of said furry suit as I later pointed out to the manufacturer (Bat Products), and to give him his credit JRat did buy me a pint by way of compensation.

Offline Graigwen

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 08:36:33 am »
until a friend visited late afternoon and watched me hobbling and suggested he give me a lift to the hospital - where they did an X-ray and showed me a picture of the obviously-broken meta-tarsal of my right little toe. "I thought it was hurting", I feebly said, as the nurse gave me the raised eyebrows when I mentioned it was 'yesterday morning'.

I have broken all my metatarsals at various times. I got quiet blase about them, there is no treatment you just have to put up with the discomfort, after the first two I did not trouble hospitals. Then the last one was the one on my little toe and it hurt like hell, far worse than the others so I was back to hospital to find out what was going on. The hospital explained that the metatarsal for the little toe is on the outside and unsupported, which is why it hurts so much.

Offline The Old Ruminator

• forum hero
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 09:02:46 am »
Sorry. I have not got the time to list them all.

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 11:22:34 am »
The hospital explained that the metatarsal for the little toe is on the outside and unsupported, which is why it hurts so much.

It hurt like hell, if I'm honest. Also the issue with feet (which had never occurred to me until I did this) is that there isn't much room for expansion, unlike other parts of the body. There's virtually zero fat and no soft organs to squash up - just bones and gristle. Obviously once a bone starts healing it gets a lot bigger around the break until the structure has rebuilt itself, and the rest of the foot contents just sit there being most uncooperative in refusing to budge up a bit. For this reason I now make sure that all carabiners are never left on the floor, at least where I might walk on them!

Luckily I don't walk around the streets in bare feet or I'd have done it again by now on nitrous oxide canisters. I came across a full pack of 20 scattered in the woods yesterday, including the box. If I'd had gloves I would have taken them home but I'm not risking chav-rash any more than Covid-19.

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 12:57:34 pm »
When I gave myself a metatarsal stress fracture 2 years ago (from running) I made myself a special (el cheapo) "orthotic" insert by cutting a hole in an old insole to accommodate the bulging area where the bone was healing, which did the trick nicely. Was back running within about 5 weeks, so no big deal (luckily).

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 01:01:29 pm »
I was once experimenting with various modes of abseiling using one or more karabiners. I’d read somewhere that you can get enough friction to abseil by wrapping a rope a couple of times round a krab, so I tried abbing about twenty feet using this method; it worked until the krab re-orientated itself such that the rope turns were now wrapped round the screw gate . . . in the wrong direction, so the gate unscrew and opened, and I fell maybe 3½ metres, sustaining merely a swollen ankle.

Online mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 01:37:40 pm »
Fortunately none caving, but quite a list kayaking, although the best was a friend of mine who broke his hip falling over in a car park just before lockdown (& he's not even a pensioner).

Offline Wolfo

• German bugger
  • regular
    • ArgeKH
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 01:40:39 pm »
I fell once around 80m.
Some kind of ice cornice broke away with me on a winter GR20 trip on Corsica, in an area called "Cirque de la Solitude"...translated maybe:"Basin of lonelyness" which was basically describing the situation.
Woke up some minutes later in a big red spot on the snow, lost maybe 1,5l blood, but the chopper flight out was cool...
No bones harmed, only meat.
Lower Saxony - Harz Mountain Area - Germany

Offline Andy Walsh

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2020, 03:00:35 pm »
I did a Large Pot - Rift pot trip on a extremely hot day and on getting back to the car dehydrated +hot pulled the ring pull of a ginger beer can and it simply blew up -BLOOD EVERYWHERE

Offline Andy Walsh

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2020, 03:36:24 pm »
15 meters down Notts 2 entrance I was finishing off the building work sealing odd gaps with a huge can of building foam about the stickiest stuff known
Only it would not come out of the nozzle  :down:I stuck it into a cavity to seal in another time BUT  with my luck could rust and blow up on a passing caver!
So I put it in front of me shielded my face and most of my glasses and hit it with a small pick
IT went off like a extreme wet fart I was covered from head to toe and hair +bits I did not know  :o
Worse the bottom 5 metres of the shaft was dripping with it that was the way out most of my gear was a write off
took a good +2 hours to clean up paint and glues a doddle
ITS A WONDER I'm allowed out!!!!

Online andybrooks

• player
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2020, 05:14:21 pm »
Opening a bottle of beer, no opener, used an empty bottle to lever the cap off.  Lots of blood and a severed tendon.

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2020, 08:07:38 pm »
15 meters down Notts 2 entrance I was finishing off the building work sealing odd gaps with a huge can of building foam about the stickiest stuff known
Only it would not come out of the nozzle  :down:I stuck it into a cavity to seal in another time BUT  with my luck could rust and blow up on a passing caver!
So I put it in front of me shielded my face and most of my glasses and hit it with a small pick
IT went off like a extreme wet fart I was covered from head to toe and hair +bits I did not know  :o
Worse the bottom 5 metres of the shaft was dripping with it that was the way out most of my gear was a write off
took a good +2 hours to clean up paint and glues a doddle
ITS A WONDER I'm allowed out!!!!

I'm not entirely sure I got exactly what happened. Any chance you could demonstrate it again for an online tutorial video?  :)

Offline Dickie

• addict
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2020, 12:29:21 am »
Cutting firewood in a mate's garden with a felling axe - there was a particularly tough log that needed a really big swing over the head, which hit the clothes line and rebounded into my forehead! Fortunately, it was the heel of the axe not the blade. Butterfly stitches fixed it!
Big blow to the head - explains a lot really!
Amazin Razin rools OK!

Offline Loki

• regular
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2020, 07:08:01 am »
Was getting things in/out of the boot sorting kit for a trip to the bottom of the newly extended boggarts roaring holes. Felt a slight twinge in my back but didn’t think any more of it. Anyway got to the bottom of the cave fine but then as if on cue my back went into spasm and was excruciatingly painful for the entire trip out. No one could help as all the pitch heads are tight and awkward.
Hidden Dips

Offline Mark

• forum hero
  • Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2020, 09:19:18 am »
Back in the 70s we were doing Top sink to Lancaster hole, there was a massive flood (there were loads of callouts that night) we had an epic in the streamway and had to abandon that route and find our way via the high level caverns.

We eventually found our way to Lancaster, all got out safely and made for the Hill Inn

My misfortune was caused by having a piss in my wetsuit to warm up, while sitting on a ledge in the streamway, shortly before finding the high level route. My wetsuit was generally in poor repair, with many holes, and sand got in and rubbed the skin off the inside of my thighs which was agony.

So we got to the Hill Inn, had to park up the hill because it was rammed, while walking down to the pub in the style of John Wayne, the massive heel on my trendy platform boots broke off causing me to fall over and split my head open on the wall.

Looked a right twat in the pub

Offline Bob Smith

• new to all things i haven't seen before
  • junky
  • BEC
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2020, 01:29:51 pm »
Playing indoor cricket in the Belfry I was struck by a frozen tomatoe, that was bowled full toss, just below my left nipple. 2 cracked ribs and a very fine round bruise. Trying to explain that to the nursing sister raised an eyebrow. I had succesfully defend the wicket against a large knife and a small armchair.

Offline Pegasus

• NCC
  • Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2020, 02:46:36 pm »
Playing indoor cricket in the Belfry I was struck by a frozen tomatoe, that was bowled full toss, just below my left nipple. 2 cracked ribs and a very fine round bruise. Trying to explain that to the nursing sister raised an eyebrow. I had succesfully defend the wicket against a large knife and a small armchair.

who freezes tomatoes??  :blink: :blink: ;D

Offline Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2020, 03:13:16 pm »
I assume to make them viable as a cricket ball.

Gave myself a black eye with haul cord crab when I picked up my bag too vigorously when setting off from the car. I learnt my lesson always to clip the those flails to my back after that.

I also knocked out a filling by kneeing my hand-jammer into my face on an awkward pitch-head, but that was in a cave, so I guess that don't count.
Anything I say is represents my own opinion and not that of a any club/organisation that I am a member of (unless its good of course)

Offline MJenkinson

• forum star
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2020, 03:34:42 pm »
I have a habit of taking my SRT kit off after a trip, clipping it all together by clipping various bits to various loops. Flick if over my shoulder and its an easier walk out. I will never again clip my stop to a cowstail again, after casually flinging it onto my shoulder and the length of cowstail and stop vs distance between shoulder and bollocks coinciding beautifully, I properly dropped myself onto the floor near Lancaster Hole.

Offline Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2020, 03:38:47 pm »
I have a habit of taking my SRT kit off after a trip, clipping it all together by clipping various bits to various loops. Flick if over my shoulder and its an easier walk out. I will never again clip my stop to a cowstail again, after casually flinging it onto my shoulder and the length of cowstail and stop vs distance between shoulder and bollocks coinciding beautifully, I properly dropped myself onto the floor near Lancaster Hole.

Good job you were not close to the edge then! Death by bollocks strike!
Anything I say is represents my own opinion and not that of a any club/organisation that I am a member of (unless its good of course)

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2020, 04:12:03 pm »

We freeze our home-grown ones, otherwise we can't eat them quickly enough; and if you want to peel them for use in cooking, then just put the frozen ones in a bowl of hot water, and the skin comes off very easily after a minute or two, plus when they're partially thawed out you can slice them up quite easily (though at the risk of contributing another anecdote to this thread  ;D).

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2020, 04:33:14 pm »

Come on Pegasus - you know what they're like in that establishment "everything to excess"!   :lol:

Offline Duck ditch

• menacing presence
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2020, 04:52:59 pm »
 We were playing a drunken game of celebrity pool in the Marton arms.  Where you play a shot in the style of a celebrity.  Anyway it was my round. I put my hand in my jeans to get my money out and dislocated a finger.  Luckily the CRO doctor was in the pub and fixed It with a large paper clip and a toothbrush.  I think my next shot was in the style of nick faldo.

Online PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2020, 04:57:32 pm »

Sounds about right for the Belfry!  :o

Not sure if this is more or less dangerous than crockery cricket...

Online mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2020, 05:29:12 pm »
Defiantly more  :chair:

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2020, 05:32:12 pm »
Potato baseball is a good variant, though a bit messy. Hell, I've had some great times in caving club hostels! And don't even ask about the swede cannon - that's a story perhaps best told after over pint.   ;)

Online mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2020, 05:34:51 pm »
There's a sprout gun on Mendip - ideal for the Xmas dinner, it's also caused some inexplicable bruises...

Online andybrooks

• player
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2020, 06:58:45 pm »
Is that anything like punkin chunkin?

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2020, 07:00:13 pm »
. . . and then of course there's that well known and exacting discipline, involving paraffin.

Not that I've ever involved myself of course.   ::)

Offline Bob Smith

• new to all things i haven't seen before
  • junky
  • BEC
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2020, 02:21:33 pm »

Sounds about right for the Belfry!  :o

Not sure if this is more or less dangerous than crockery cricket...

we were all out off crockery, for some reason...

Offline Joshlivesoutdoors

• Caver, trad climber, hiker
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2020, 02:48:34 pm »
Camped down at hard rock cafe in Darren Cilau, and after a long day of caving bruised my coccyx when i sat on a rocky protrusion within camp, unfortunately I happened to be cooking at the time. Nothing serious just a sore rear for a few weeks  :lol:

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2020, 12:54:00 am »
Both of these are actually caving trips, but they're both pretty stupid, so...

I once visited a certain mine shaft which has a scaffolding platform installed at a landing about 50m down. In my haste to get down there I managed to abseil myself onto the end of one of the upright tubes, landing on my coccyx. It hurt too much to even shout - I think I may have just cried like a kid and had to lie down for ten minutes to get over it. I didn't dare look at the time but I could tell it wasn't dripping blood, so carried on with the (5 hour) trip. Not surprisingly I had the bruise to end all bruises when I got my kit off, and a nicely chiselled impression of a tube corner which stayed for days and it hurt for weeks. Next time up there I took a carrier bag, which I stuffed into a ball in the end of the tube to soften the impact should anyone else do the same thing. I think it's still there.

Oh, and on my last digging trip into Nixon's Aven in Peak, only a few months ago, I picked up a big slab of rock to move it out of the way as it was dangerous, and trapped the tip of my little finger between it and the wall. That was another delayed trip to the hospital, another 'disappointing' X-ray and another no-fix situation. They even gave me a tetanus jab and five days of antibiotics when I told the nurse I did it in a cave. To be fair it was twenty years since I'd had a tetanus, so it was probably time for an update.  But that was another two weeks off.

I do generally do a lot of trips though, so my annual average of accidents, above ground or below is still pretty low. There's still time.

Offline zomjon

• junky
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2020, 04:30:57 pm »
I used to have the bad habit of leaving my caving suit draped over the wall at the back of the garden for quite a while, that was until the day that Owd Git and myself were getting changed at Knotlow Triangle. Was just pulling  up the oversuit when I received a searing pain on the upper thigh. After a record breaking derobe of my undersuit, a queen wasp drowsily fell to the floor. Ric then kindly put the poor creature out of its misery with his steel toe caps whilst I hopped about swearing!

Online PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2020, 11:00:19 pm »
Reminds me of one day in Kingsdale, we'd changed and put on srt kits, picked up tackle sacks and crossed the style towards Brown Hill if I remember.

All of a sudden, my friend dropped his bag and started calmly taking off all his kit.

We assumed he'd forgotten to take a pee,  until he reached into his fury suit and pulled out an enormous insect from his nether regions!  :o

The same friend (who didn't believe in pants for caving) also managed to trap himself in his fury suit zip on at least one occasion that I remember... I think he wears pants these days, so perhaps he eventually learned his lesson.

Offline GoneCaving

• Irish caver, current ICRO Chair.
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2020, 09:08:37 am »
Spiral fracture of the right fibula just above the ankle after tripping over a kerb walking back to the car after two pints in the New Inn after a day down GG. Thought I'd just badly sprained it, and drove back to Ireland the following day.

Offline caving_fox

• forum star
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2020, 10:42:23 am »
I assume to make them viable as a cricket ball.

Gave myself a black eye with haul cord crab when I picked up my bag too vigorously when setting off from the car. I learnt my lesson always to clip the those flails to my back after that.

I also knocked out a filling by kneeing my hand-jammer into my face on an awkward pitch-head, but that was in a cave, so I guess that don't count.

I chipped a tooth with a flailing krab whilst rigging a few years ago. It remains (I Hope!) my most serious caving injury.
If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

Offline Laurie

• forum hero
  • ...and then there was one.
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2020, 02:13:18 pm »
1964 - Took out my right fibula with my motorbike kick start lever while a London bus was smashing my right femur into a jigsaw puzzle.
MNRC

Offline Jenny P

• junky
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2020, 06:36:29 pm »
A certain Mendip club used to boast a climbing route up the wall alongside the front door, across the top of the door and down the other side.  I attempted this on the evening of the club barbecue but failed miserably, having to jump down from level with the top of the door, and hit a half-brick in the grass verge.  I wasn't going to miss the barbecue so limped painfully across to it and continued to limp for another couple of months until eventually the pain died away and the limp went.

About 10 years later I broke my ankle playing in the staff V girls end of term hockey match at the school I taught at (actually heard it snap this time!); and shared an ambulance down to the local hospital with the chap who'd torn a ligament in his knee in the staff V boys football match.  The A&E doctor came along with my X-ray and asked "When did you break your ankle before?"; I said I hadn't; he said "Oh yes you had!" and showed me on the X-ray the thickened place on the bone where the earlier break had healed by itself.

The only bright point about the whole episode was that the Head insisted that both of us teachers claimed Industrial Injuries Benefit!

Offline Russell Myers

• Craven Pothole Club
  • regular
  • Filed but not forgotten.
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2020, 12:15:56 am »
I badly sprained my ankle when my foot rolled over climbing down into the Mostest, DYO on the way to the Far North on a pushing trip Easter 1971. I thought I'd broken my leg. My CPC mates were in discovery fever mode and left me for dead! I was lying there bemoaning my fate (and probably whinging as well) when a group of Eldon cavers arrived on their way out. We'll organise a rescue but it will probably be tomorrow before they get here I was told or you can hop. I hopped very painfully back out - amazing what you can do in survival mode without a usable lower leg. Swimming through the Green Canal was a considerable relief but my memory of the sensation of the sweet smell of fresh air at the entrance was an even greater one. An x-ray the following day did not reveal a break but it took me years to get full strength back in my ankle.
Bust a rib on a rescue in Langstroth Pot (not my rescue I might add).
Probably re-bust the same rib getting back out of the Blow Hole GG some time later
Tore a calf muscle coming out of the Berger after Aldo's pitch, that was quite painful, dealt with by a kind of reverse hop but buggered my chance of bottoming the hole.
Took a header over my mountain bike handlebars and dislocated my shoulder on landing, fortunately it slithered back when I stood up but my arm hung like a wet rag, useless. Riding a bike one armed back to the car 15 miles away is not quite in the same league as hopping out of DYO but we had an ice cream as consolation on the way. 
Various scuffs and gadges as Chapell would say, the worst being skinned knees crawling out of Penyghent Pot with no knee pads or anything actually other than skin. They became infected and I could feel the gunk ooze down both legs later that week at work.
Knocked out trying to circumnavigate the centre pole of the GG refreshment tent swinging on a dog lead which parted company with the pole just as I reached horizontal and landed on my head, didn't do any good, still as daft.   
JFK: Change is the law of life and those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2020, 08:17:01 am »
 :lol:

I bet this is the first time KC has featured on his dreaded internet!

I remember a time when he'd describe anyone he didn't trust in terms of: "He's one of these with an email address"!

Offline yrammy

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2020, 10:00:45 am »
Both non caving but one has a caving element - but is not an injury!

Broke my toe getting into the bath.

Had a whole tranche of jabs in one arm ready for a big trip abroad. Put on a wetsuit. Went down Winnats Head - bouncing from wall to wall on the arm. Ouchy

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search