Author Topic: Mystery Photo of Puttrell  (Read 3089 times)

Offline Boy Engineer

• player
Re: Mystery Photo of Puttrell
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2020, 05:19:48 pm »
Yeah, definitely not Frank 'ith (the first two photos are same hole - or should it be Frank i'th'?), there's one further down the dale that's over half way down the pics, labelled "near Biggin Dale".

From another blog:
https://images.app.goo.gl/XdBJPRGnmGHkpY687

I think that’s Iron Tors cave.

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2020, 05:48:31 pm »
DCA registry doesn't recognize that name - the only thing they show in that area is peasland rock shelter, which looks different in the (interior) shot on Peak District caving info...

N.B. The guidebook confirms they are same thing.

Offline Boy Engineer

• player
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2020, 07:19:21 pm »
DCA registry doesn't recognize that name - the only thing they show in that area is peasland rock shelter, which looks different in the (interior) shot on Peak District caving info...

N.B. The guidebook confirms they are same thing.

I grew up with a Harold Gresley watercolour entitled Iron Tor’s Cave, so you’ll have to blame domestic conditioning.

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2020, 07:30:23 pm »
No, it definitely should be an alternate on the registry. Is closest I've seen so far.

Offline Jenny P

• junky
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2020, 07:40:13 pm »
It does bear some resemblance to 2nd cave featured in:
http://snapthepeaks.co.uk/peak-district-walks/wolfscote-dale-and-beresford-dale-walk/

That's what is known as Frank i' th' Rocks Cave, in Dovedale just at the lower end of Wolfscote Dale, and it definitely isn't that.

Offline Jenny P

• junky
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2020, 07:43:13 pm »
I inserted 'Puttrell in a cave' into my search engine and it came up with this book on Amazon. If anybody has access to a copy, there my be a clue inside:

We have a copy in the British Caving Library and someone has already checked this for clues but there are none.

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2020, 08:14:08 pm »
That's what is known as Frank i' th' Rocks Cave, in Dovedale just at the lower end of Wolfscote Dale, and it definitely isn't that.
Afraid we've already been through that being the 1st, not 2nd cave (& called Frank 'ith on DCA registry)

Offline Jenny P

• junky
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2020, 09:56:24 pm »
Afraid we've already been through that being the 1st, not 2nd cave (& called Frank 'ith on DCA registry)

The names of caves in the immediate vicinity of Frank i' th' Rocks Cave, as given in the Derbyshire Cave Registry, need to be sorted because they have been given difference names in the ARCUS record of potential archaeological caves.  This is also referenced in BCRA Cave & Karst Science V.47, (1) - a UBSS article by Palmer & Lee in 1926 began the error by referring to a dig in a cave of that name (it actually wasn't, it was a separate cave further round the outcrop) and Caves of the Peak District perpetuated it.  There are at least 4 caves known here and it's the largest and most obvious, facing the river, which is actually Frank i' th' Rocks Cave.  That's not the one shown in the Puttrell photo and the other 3 entrances in the rock outcrop look nothing like this.  (The others probably need to be referred to as FitR cave 2, 3 and 4, or something similar to distinguish them.)

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2020, 10:10:56 pm »
There's already 1, 2 & 3 on there. Pic in question is of peasland rock shelter (aka iron tors cave)

Offline Jenny P

• junky
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2020, 06:16:15 pm »
I don't remember Peasland Rock Shelter (Iron Tors Cave) as looking anything like the Puttrell photo - though I admit it's a long time since I've seen it.

Thinking of where it is on the side of the dale, I can't quite see how you would be able to take the photo from that angle.  Also, I have the inpression that the cave in the Puttrell photo has a larger entrance than Peasland Rock Shelter.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search