OTHER STUFF > Idle Chat

The Black Dog - mental health awareness

(1/17) > >>

SamT:
Thought this worth of its own thread (spinoff from the Blue Monday Thread).

The/My Black Dog?

"My biggest fear was being found out"

"He used to wake me up with repetitive and negative thinking and remind me about how tired I would be the next day"

"Activities that previously brought me pleasure suddenly ceased to" But I'm on the road to recovery.

It doesn't matter who you are, if you're in difficulty don't be afraid to ask for help, there's no shame in doing so, the only shame is missing out on life.

At its worst, depression can be a frightening, debilitating condition. Millions of people around the world live with depression. Many of these individuals and their families are afraid to talk about their struggles, and don't know where to turn for help. However, depression is largely preventable and treatable. Recognizing depression and seeking help is the first and most critical towards recovery. In collaboration with WHO to mark

World Mental Health Day, writer and illustrator Matthew Johnstone tells the story of overcoming the "black dog of depression". For more information on World Mental Health Day, please visit: www.who.int

SamT:
I've had my struggles of the years.  Luckily mild enough that just going to the GP and talking about it was enough to turn a downward spiral into an upward one.  Been relatively good the last few years.  I only occasionally hear the black dog barking off in the distance.

I also know too many people who've taken their own life.

Please, as I said on the other thread, if you're struggling, then please please please talk to someone about it.

Also - look out for those around you how you think might be struggling.  Especially now.  One good idea is to to just choose 5 people from your contacts, and just give them a call, find out how their doing. 

Pegasus:

--- Quote from: SamT on January 18, 2021, 09:29:39 am ---
Also - look out for those around you how you think might be struggling.  Especially now.  One good idea is to to just choose 5 people from your contacts, and just give them a call, find out how their doing.

--- End quote ---

Well said, Sam  :hug:

Slug:
Sadly Sam, My experience of seeking help has been pretty much the opposite of what you're saying. I was 19 and in the military when I first started getting visited by "the Dog".....I sought medical help and was effectively given the verbal equivalent of a slap in the face and Pull Yourself Together rant.....I was told to "deal with it"....so I did, first with drink, then drugs and then other more self destructive behavior, until I was Jailed and dismissed...I was in Colchester with so many veterans of N.I. and the Falklands, it was more like Broardmoor !

Over the last 40 years it has effectively ruined my life.....despite their BS, most employers don't want "Nutters".  I was forced out of my last job because my health issues.....despite their own policies. No amount of Regulations or Laws did any good whatsoever. Never have done, doubt they ever will......maybe it's different if you don't work in Overalls.
Maybe for others it might be a different experience......they can but hope.

Roger W:
Really sorry to hear that, Slug.  Unfortunately the "pull yourself together" attitude is still widespread and not helpful at all.  Deepest sympathy - though I don't know if it will help any.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
Go to full version