WHERE THE CAVES ARE - The Caving Regions > Mendip

Cuckoo Cleaves

(1/5) > >>

bagpuss:
Hi all,
I know the situation regarding air quality can vary day to day, but just wondered if anyone had been in Cuckoo Cleaves recently and what the air quality was like? I am the club budgie (ie I seem to get effected sooner than everyone else when it comes to bad air) so interested to know what it's been like on Mendip before committing to a trip! Barely been caving since pre covid so not really aware of what it's been like on Mendip over the summer. Hoping the cooler weather may have made it less of an issue...

PeteHall:

--- Quote from: bagpuss on August 30, 2021, 08:06:39 pm ---I know the situation regarding air quality can vary day to day

--- End quote ---
Possibly one for another thread, but can air quality really vary day to day? I'm no expert, but I'd have thought air quality takes time to shift one way or the other, based on longer term atmospheric conditions and water levels.

As for current air quality in Cuckoo Cleaves, I'm afraid I can't help, but we do currently have a strong outwards draught at our dig in Bos, so perhaps a reasonable assumption that the caves in the area are breathing well at the minute.

mikem:
There was also a good draught at drunkards this weekend. Somewhere like cuckoo may change after heavy rain, but not on a daily basis - some friends were down there a month ago & survived, but no more recent reports than that (manor farm wasn't great a couple of weeks ago).

bagpuss:

--- Quote from: PeteHall on August 30, 2021, 10:43:46 pm ---
--- Quote from: bagpuss on August 30, 2021, 08:06:39 pm ---I know the situation regarding air quality can vary day to day

--- End quote ---
Possibly one for another thread, but can air quality really vary day to day? I'm no expert, but I'd have thought air quality takes time to shift one way or the other, based on longer term atmospheric conditions and water levels.

As for current air quality in Cuckoo Cleaves, I'm afraid I can't help, but we do currently have a strong outwards draught at our dig in Bos, so perhaps a reasonable assumption that the caves in the area are breathing well at the minute.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Pete, poorly worded on my part, I suppose what I really meant was that I understand that it could change between visits, ie it might have been okay when someone visited it one week, then could change if we visited a week or so later, ie would still use our own judgment when caving.

mikekushy:
Depends how far you want to go really, most of the bad air sinks to the bottom of the cave.

Looking at the higher galleries should be safe and near the entrance for a quickish escape.

Other than that wait until there's frost.

If you suffer bad then I wouldn't risk it/waste time right now.

Regards.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
Go to full version