Author Topic: Peter Binns Collection  (Read 591 times)

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
    • Caving Routes in the Northern Dales
Peter Binns Collection
« on: April 30, 2021, 12:36:18 pm »
We have been delighted to receive a collection of material collected by Peter Binns (1917-2002) during his long caving career, and it includes some fascinating stuff. Peter started caving with the BSA in the early 1930s, and I knew him in the late 1960s as Chairman of the Cave Research Group.

It's going to take some time to sort out the material and make it available, but here are a few items to whet your appetite.

This is a photograph of BSA guys sorting out their tackle in their headquarters in Settle in about 1939:

This is a photograph of Dome Pitch in Lost Johns' taken about 1937. Notice the two ladders - one is coming down from the Dome Alternative, a route which has a history of being regularly rediscovered by members of this forum and which was recently bolted by Sam:

Finally, this is a picture of the winch taken in 1946:

Offline Ian Ball

• forum hero
Re: Peter Binns Collection
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 12:54:09 pm »
That's terrific!

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 07:46:26 pm »
That's great Langcliffe, thanks for posting.

Here's a more recent picture of the same scene as the first one from you (in the run up to Christmas 2018).

I'll pretty sure Barbara Binns was Peter's sister. She became Barbara Butterworth when she married "Buzzer". They lived at Austwick, just along the road from where Jack Myers lived (at Suncroft). Barabara was an accomplished caver herself; I remember bumping into her in the GG system when she was in her late 70s. She was doing a solo trip somewhere.

Offline yrammy

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 07:57:20 am »
Great photos!

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 02:21:04 pm »
I'll pretty sure Barbara Binns was Peter's sister. She became Barbara Butterworth when she married "Buzzer". They lived at Austwick, just along the road from where Jack Myers lived (at Suncroft). Barabara was an accomplished caver herself; I remember bumping into her in the GG system when she was in her late 70s. She was doing a solo trip somewhere.

I think you mean 'Frank Butterfield', after whom Butterfield Passage is named in County Pot. Barbara features in Underground Adventure in the Hull Pot chapter. Peter Binns features in the section on Old Ing Cave.

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 02:46:02 pm »

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 03:30:12 pm »
 :lol:

To err is human . . .

Sorry, my mind was on summat else.

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 10:08:49 pm »
This is reputedly a photograph taken in South East Passage, Gaping Gill. It was taken in May 1939. It looks like it could be South East Passage, but I had never heard of a formation like this in there. If it is S.E. Passage I suspect that is in the section beyond New Hensler's.  Does it ring any bells with anyone?

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 08:28:23 am »
Hm, I've spent quite a bit of time in S E Passage and Far S E Passage lately; I don't recognise the passage as being there (with or without stalagmite.

Excellent photograph though. I wonder if the bloke in the picture realised what awful world event was about to unfold . . . .

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal