Croesor-Rhosydd trip.

T

tubby two

Hello,

I've been searching all over the net for info on the above through trip, which sounds excellent.
Is there any way to get hold of a survey of either of the mines? sounds like it might be handy thing to have!

tt.

SamT

I've got a load of stuff on my hard drive - I'll dig it out - hopefully, some of the links and stuff are still there - it is an awsome trip - read about our trip here :

Croesor

We have a survey but to be honest, its a bit hard to read/understand and a good written description is as good as anything.

I'll dig out some stuff for ya and do a little written description.

T

tubby two

Ta very much.

The trip sounds excellent, i'm getting over-excited already. Just need to press gang some dodgy companions into believing its not lethal! :wink:

tt.
[/quote]

bubba

Administrator
It's a great trip throught some spectacular mines. Not too dodgy with the cables in place where you want them.

Suss out your route back from the exit though - that was desperate in the mist.

SamT

Some more links

http://www.cowdery.demon.co.uk/Rctrip.htm

http://www.subwales.co.uk/mines/croesor.html

I have some more stuff at home including a survey which I'll mail to you since the links no longer exist.

I'll do a bit of a description too.

The route has changed since these descriptions due to collapse - there is now an extra couple of boat crossings.

You need to treat this trip with the gravitas it deserves. we were fully kitted up.
Bolting kit, ropes - climbing ropes, rubber inner tubes (less likely to puncture on sharp slate than crappy dingys) foot pump. small selection of climbing gear - slings/nuts rope etc. wetsuits/neofleece, food and drink.

You basically need to be able to tackle anything you come across. 4/5 people would be good inorder to carry all the kit.

Bubba's right, you definatly need to suss out the surface route back to the entrance. The problem being is there are several ways out of Rhosydd and if its misty - you've a right job in orientating your self. (compass!!).

Remember to take something daft to leave at the bizzare shrine. :)

bubba

Administrator
SamT said:
You need to treat this trip with the gravitas it deserves. we were fully kitted up.
Bolting kit, ropes - climbing ropes, rubber inner tubes (less likely to puncture on sharp slate than crappy dingys) foot pump. small selection of climbing gear - slings/nuts rope etc. wetsuits/neofleece, food and drink.
Because we didn't have access to a recent description of the trip, and we'd heard rumours of the collapses, etc, we took everything bar the kitchen sink.

I think if I was doing it again, I'd take less stuff though. You'd be unlucky to need a bolt-kit and you could do it "Alpine style" with wetsuits and inflatable gear bags to use in place of tyres/boats and swimming the lakes.

SamT

bear in mind bubba that it could all have changed again since our trip 2 years ago !!

I would be very reluctant to rely solely on the in-situ ropes.

T

tubby two

Cheers fellas,
I've got my recruits (one of them even sounds eager, but then is from black rose) and am slowly trying to stop talking about mines before it bores everyone i know to death.

I've gone over all your links and got a relativley good idea of the way, however, if you can give descriptions of distances, directions and rope lengthe (roughly) thet would be pretty useful. a copy of a survey would also be greatly appreciated.

Do you know if its a trip that get sone at all regularly. i get an odd feeling you were some of the last ones down there!?! :?

Ta,

tt.

SamT

I actually think it gets done fairly regularly - its relativly well know in the wales climbing scene too, as a wet weather adventure.

The mine system itself is relativly straight forward. It consists of huge rectangular chambers that all lie parallel to each other and inclined to about 30 degrees.
They are flooded in the bottom - rise up into the blackness above - and the main drag just traverses the chambers from right to left about half way up the chambers.
The entrance adit runs straight into the base of the first chamber.

Right here goes for a description.

Drive up though croesor valley and park as near as you can. Since the entrance is a good 45 minute uphill slog from the car, we got changed up at the entrance, it depends on what your wearing - i was wearing a thin sufing wetsuit under my oversuit.

Entrance is to right of a an old winding house. Long long adit runs straight in for a way until you reach the base of the first chamber and the start of an uphill incline.

climb awkwardly up the incline - past the old pot flue. You pass a couple of windows on the right with over look a flooded chamber until you reach a window on the left over looking a massive chamber with a boulder floor. You will basically now turning left and making your way across the various chambers/bridges in this direction.
The first pitch - there will probably be loads of bits of tat bolts and rope etc. Make your own mind up about the condition of these and weather to use them or not. I reckon 30 meters should be fine.
straight across the chamber is another window - much bigger (more like a col). To the right hand side of the roof supporting pillar is the next pitch - again insitue ropes and stuff - you decide.
Another 20/30 meters should see you ok here. (tip - stand clear of the pitch base once your down - there is loose stuff all over these mines.)

This is where the description changes. The old way on was through a climb down between boulders into a tunnel that marked the start of the railway level that would be followed over the bridges. This is now well and truly blocked.

We descended down to the pool at the base of the chamber - launched our rubber rings and headed for the far right hand side - where a short connecting tunnel leads to the equivalent pool in the next chamber which then has to be crossed back to
the base of the chamber. The water is very cold and deep yet strangely beautiful. Its worth taking the biggest-brightest torch you can lay your hands on - for lighting up some of these chambers.

Once re-assembled on the other side ascend the slope back up the chamber to the railway level - simply follow this to the left (looking up the chamber) along through various enormous chambers and over the several well described bridges.
Bridge 1 - OK
Bidge 2 - No floor - just a tyrolean wire right across.
Bridge 3 - dodgy walk across bendy metal rails - insitue handlines of unknow vintage - to middle support - tyrolean wire rest of way.

On to final lake - again insitu ropes of unknow vintage - 15 meters sees you straight into the water (deep). I pulled on some existing twine which revealed a very nice dingy. so we used that - probably still there.

quick pull on an insitu rope at the yon side gets you back into the continuation passage. Have a laugh at the shrine. and continue onwards. eventually the passage is blocked - so you need to be looking for a passage up to the right. I seem to remember a couple - it was fairly low and there might have been a small cairn at the base of it., this brings you out into rhosydd. again more chambers.
Its a bit of a blur - be we came across a huge chamber open to the light - so we followed that up and out into the base of a small quarry - eventually managed to scramble out of this and then proceeded to get lost in the mist trying to find our way down.

There is the Rhosydd adit if you can find it, that just runs straight in the same direction as the main drag you have been following. (we found the exit on our way back down the mountain. It would be easier to find your way back to the car from there rather that the quarry, but only if you can find the start of it underground. I suspect you just keep going left rather that walking up and out of the huge chamber.

8 hours. Blimey.

If I were you - I'd take rope for the first 2 pitches - which your willing to ditch - (or come back for via the entrace adit). a bit of rope for the bridge crossings that you can take with you - in a leader/ second style. SRT kit.
inflateable device for lake crossings - innertubes/dingy plus twine for retreival. You could take flippers and big ortleibs if your confident enough to just swim the lakes.
Plenty of food. and maybe even a flask - it gets cold in there due to the draft. oh and a huge torch.

Have fun - stay safe - and let us know how you get on - piccies would be great.

:D

SamT

here is the multi map link for the arial photo.

http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?client=public&X=267133&Y=345769&gride=&gridn=&scale=25000&width=&height=

If you overlay the map - you can see croysor spoil heaps buildings and entrance on the left hand side.

The two quarries - one of which we came out of at the bottom of the page.
and Rhosydd building and spoil heaps just left and above of the center.

we ended up going north in the mist and finding the buildings at rhosydd, then taking the lower (more northerly footpath) back round under the croesor entrance - which meant two of us had to scale the spoil tips via an old incline to get our kit which we had stored in the entrance.

SamT

as promised - a bit late maybe - :oops:

Ive added some colour hatching to show the flooded levels to ease clarity. (done from memory so might not be 100%)

and in red is the area of collapse and our alternative route.

Basically anything to the north of the route is under water bar the adit entrance. and everything to the south is higher that the through route if you know what I mean.

best thing is to right click on "download" and Save As.

remember - this is only Croesor. there is still Rhosydd to get through once your off this survey!!!!

T

tubby two

no problem, cheers mate.

havent got down there yet, but its in the pipeline before september. hopefully i get some nice pics for you all too!

tt.

SamT

:shock:

blimey - that was quick.

any updates would be great, hope the survey makes more sense now Ive touched it up - I struggled to make sense of it before we went.

:D

T

tubby two

I know, pretty slick huh. is there a prize for the fastest reply on record?

tt. :clap:

hope springs eternal!

SamT

There is actually

and clearly I wont be getting it.

Its my pair of knee pads that I've just retired.
recipient pays p&p.

T

tubby two

No, its still on my to-do list. I'm a scabby student with no car see, and persuading people to go all the way to N.Wales to do one mine proves hard when you have to drive through the dales. Maybe this summer eh?
I'll be in sheffield for the third week in august so if i can recruit some folk and pinch my mums car i might try and get there then?

tt.