Author Topic: Hustings for BCA Chair election: please send questions you want put  (Read 2153 times)

Offline David Rose

• junky
This year there are two candidates to be the next BCA Chair: the incumbent, Russell Myers, who stepped up from his previous role as Secretary when Phil Rowsell resigned last year, and Rostam Namaghi, who currently serves as Publicity and Information officer.

Both have been involved in caving and the association for many years, although Rostam is somewhat younger.

In about ten days time - the date is yet to be fixed, but it may well be September 16 - I am going to conduct an online hustings, a recorded Zoom call, which will be accessible afterwards on the BCA website and, I imagine, here. I hope it may be possible to live-stream it, too.

This post is to invite members to contact me if they have questions they would like me to put to the candidates, on any issue relating to the job. You can PM me here or email me direct, at david@davidroseuk.com. Please put BCA Hustings in the subject line if you do, so I spot any emails that end up in my junk filter.

The AGM will be held online on Sunday, October 10, starting at 10.30am. There will be electronic voting for this and other appointments, and on motions.

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
Re: Hustings for BCA Chair election: please send questions you want put
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 12:01:07 pm »
David. I would like you to ask each candidate about how they intend to deal with minority but powerful voices within the association who tend to influence matters sometimes against the stated will of the majority. These influential minorities have used all sorts of dirty tactics in the past to disrupt and delay the will of the majority. It takes a strong and determined lead from the chair to stand up for what is often a less vocal majority and this has been a major failing in the past leading to some highly unsatisfactory outcomes which have been well publicised and led to a loss of some really good volunteers and a sour taste for many. The incumbent being no better than his predecessors in this respect Imo.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 12:22:34 pm by Badlad »

Offline aricooperdavis

• Global Moderator
  • forum star
  • Cornwall to Cumbria
    • Cooper-Davis.net
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 12:40:25 pm »
I'd be interested to hear how the two candidates would deal with securing the volunteer "workforce" that drives the BCA. The BCA has the potential to be a really rewarding organization to volunteer with, and yet we've seen a lot of volunteers leave feeling embittered, and don't have new ones lining up to fill the gaps. For an organization that relies on volunteer effort to operate this feels just as important as managing the bank balance, and yet I haven't seen much active work to address this. So I'd like to hear suggestions from each about what should be done to protect the BCAs future by securing the volunteer workforce (e.g. enhancing the volunteer experience and selling the BCA as a desirable organization to volunteer for).

Offline Ian Adams

• forum hero
  • UCET
    • UCET Caving Club (North Wales)
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 04:00:31 pm »
Badlad +1 please .... this "minority voice" has managed to cause the resignation of so many excellent volunteers to the (significant) detriment of the BCA committee and the organisation as a whole.

Tim is too gracious to say this but both himself and Jane have been such targets. Tim suffered horrendous abuse and brick walls during his tenure of CRoW liaison officer and Jane's momentum and hard work promoting the BCA was shot down with a minority scud missile.   

Most of us know who the other "high profile" victims/targets are too.

As Tim has asked, it would be excellent to know how the two prospective candidates hope to prevent such atrocities recurring.

Ian
A door, once opened, may be stepped through in either direction.

Online PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • ChCC, GSS, SWCC, WCC, WCDG
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 08:48:26 pm »
In about ten days time - the date is yet to be fixed, but it may well be September 16 - I am going to conduct an online hustings, a recorded Zoom call, which will be accessible afterwards on the BCA website and, I imagine, here. I hope it may be possible to live-stream it, too.

Is this an official BCA event and is it being/ has it been, advertised through official BCA channels?

Offline nearlywhite

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 09:19:28 pm »

Is this an official BCA event and is it being/ has it been, advertised through official BCA channels?

Yes and yes once details are firmed up. Currently the plan is for a recorded interview but there's no reason it can't be livestreamed.

Online PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 09:28:37 pm »
I was thinking about giving more people an opportunity to raise questions ahead of the event, as much as details of the event itself.

Offline JoshW

• junky
  • YSS, WSCC, BCA Youth & Development, BCA Group Rep
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2021, 03:56:08 pm »
Similar to Ari's point on volunteers. I'd like to know what streamlining ideas the candidates have to make volunteer's jobs easier, either technologically or procedurally.

I'm certain that there are plenty of people who would step forwards but are just overwhelmed by the amount of shit that comes with the job, and if there was significant assistance to make the job easier they would go for it.

For instance, I was extremely tempted to put myself forwards for the secretary role at this AGM, however the level of technological support for it (as it stands) would have meant that I could not have completed this role to the best of my ability.

Hopefully some of these ideas would help align all the working groups to be as transparent about their activities as others are.
All views are my own and not that of the BCA or any clubs for which I'm a member of.

Online Ian Ball

• forum hero
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2021, 05:04:56 pm »
How will you stay involved and support the BCA if not elected as Chair at this election?

(a willing volunteer is not a good thing to lose)

Offline 2xw

• junky
  • YUCPC, SUSS
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2021, 05:44:31 pm »
A bit of a softball I guess but so it's not all politics and organisational

What is it you like the most about British caving?

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2021, 07:08:10 pm »
Can a new National Body for British Caving start completely from scratch, based on professionalism first and foremost, and completely bin all forms of tradition? I'd gladly learn IRATA stuff as it's centuries more up to date than ladderbollocks, for starters.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 07:38:48 pm by Cap'n Chris »

Offline Russell Myers

• Craven Pothole Club
  • regular
  • Filed but not forgotten.
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2021, 09:47:47 pm »
Sorry folks but since I only found about this event last night (Monday 6th September) on here at UKC, on checking my diary I don't have any free time to devote to the "hustings" during the period in question. With some prior warning, I may have had the chance to reorganise my time but at such short notice feel loathe to re-schedule my own events particularly when I get the feeling I have been "dropped in at the deep end".
Having said that, I am more than happy to field any questions directly to my BCA email - chair@british-caving.org.uk and then copy my responses on the BCA website.
Kind Regards
Russell Myers
Chair
BCA
JFK: Change is the law of life and those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

Online Ian Ball

• forum hero
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2021, 10:23:25 pm »
Regrettable but it is what it is.

Offline Cavematt

• stalker
    • York Caving Club
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2021, 07:51:29 am »
It's a shame that the availability of both Chair candidates was not confirmed prior to announcing these Hustings. Hopefully it will be rearranged for a date that both candidates can participate, perhaps closer to the AGM itself?
York Caving Club

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
  • DCA, TSG, DCRO, PDMHS, DCMC, YSS
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2021, 08:13:32 am »
With only 1 candidate present it'll be more like a party political broadcast than a hustings.

Offline nearlywhite

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2021, 12:28:51 pm »
It's a shame that the availability of both Chair candidates was not confirmed prior to announcing these Hustings. Hopefully it will be rearranged for a date that both candidates can participate, perhaps closer to the AGM itself?

You'll note that it was a proposed date, not a fixed one. The post was for solicitation of questions, once the times could be confirmed then the event would be advertised.

There was plenty of prior warning - it was mentioned at previous council meetings and in discussions. I've no interest in trying to make anyone look bad but the acting chair is not being very fair, especially given his recent actions.

I've no interest in delivering a party political broadcast.

Offline BradW

• menacing presence
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2021, 10:01:32 pm »
I have not seen an invitation to send questions for putting to the candidates posted anywhere else but here. Does that means that only UKCaving members or followers will be contributing? Should this invitation for questions not be going out via other channels in order to get as wide a demographic reach as possible?

Regarding the question of whether both candidates were aware this was happening, it seems like we have a case of he said this but he said that, and there is no way to know the truth. I think British caving has had enough of this sort of thing.

Russell's statement that he was not aware is countered by (IMHO) a cunning response from Rostam, lacking substance and leaving the reader to work out what to believe, but always leaving a lingering doubt. Such intrigue is not helping to advance the BCA, as far as I can see. Can we please all be honest, open, and level in our dealings with each other.

Online Ian Ball

• forum hero
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2021, 10:57:49 am »
hi BradW, which other channels would you like to be used?

Online PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2021, 11:28:15 am »

Not sure about "BradW", but as per my previous post through official BCA communication channels would be a good start, eg BCA constituent bodies and club reps. BCA website, Facebook and Twitter would also seem appropriate channels of communication.

I concede that the BCA is a voluntary organisation, so I shan't be criticising those volunteers, but I would have thought that the official email list to reps should be the default minimum for an announcement and other forms of social media (including here on UKC) should follow to raise further awareness and stimulate more discussion and engagement.

Offline aricooperdavis

• Global Moderator
  • forum star
  • Cornwall to Cumbria
    • Cooper-Davis.net
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2021, 11:53:57 am »
This is bound to be a hot topic because it's the first contested election for Chair that the BCA have had in a while, but also both candidates are in positions within the BCA that require them to be involved with the election (Rostam organsising how it's publicized and the Executive organizing how it's run). However, having worked closely with both in the last couple of years, I can assure you that neither is going to be playing any "cunning" tricks to try and swing it their way. Both are volunteers and have an awful lot to do in the run up to the AGM, so messages are easily missed and wires are easily crossed. A bit of generosity and understanding goes a long way, so let's extend them both some, as they do each other.

Re. publicizing this on official channels, Rostam and I are working on a page on the BCA website that has all the AGM info in one place for ease of access. Once ready it'll be sent out to club reps, the council list, and social media. :thumbsup:

Offline BradW

• menacing presence
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2021, 12:00:44 pm »
the survey we have been asked to complete is a good list to start with.

Offline nearlywhite

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2021, 11:33:59 pm »
Not sure about "BradW", but as per my previous post through official BCA communication channels would be a good start, eg BCA constituent bodies and club reps. BCA website, Facebook and Twitter would also seem appropriate channels of communication.

Facebook and the website were used (and UKC), it has emerged that the email list to council wasn't working (a possible problem with the autopost bot) - we have been unable so far to get the twitter autopost to work.

Can we please all be honest, open, and level in our dealings with each other.

I enjoy the irony of using an annonymous account to accuse me of being decietful.

I think it can be fairly clear that we both are telling the truth - it was a while ago and he may have forgot, I should have reminded him but forgot, I assumed the agreement on hustings was still there, he assumed the date was set, this was for consultation but I can see how it could have been better worded. I don't see any lack of substance for my post other than the reference to 'recent actions' which refers to the overdue Agenda and the shenanigans that were called out on the council list, which isn't public or private to be fair. It's frustrating when people try to call you out for a standard they aren't willing to hold themselves to. This however approaches mudslinging which is why I stopped my previous post at the point I did. I'd rather both of us be judged on our record, plans and responses to questions put to both of us.

Russell is a good man with whom I have fundamental disagreements on matters of policy and approach. I hope that clears it up.

Online badger

• forum star
  • WSCC. WCC
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2021, 07:33:47 am »
i think that is quite clear rostam. :clap2:

Offline Ian Adams

• forum hero
  • UCET
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2021, 07:45:40 am »
Can we please all be honest, open, and level in our dealings with each other.

I enjoy the irony of using an annonymous account to accuse me of being decietful.

It's a little more than that, the user "BradW" has (over a long period of time) simply stirred the pot of trouble - precisely what his/her post has done here while saying this;

... I think British caving has had enough of this sort of thing.

Quite exceptional really.

Anyway, back to the thread as it should be ...

Russell is a good man with whom I have fundamental disagreements on matters of policy and approach.

Seems to me that this might be the basis on which a lot of us vote. However, these differences may well be known within the "inner Circle" but are certainly not known outside of it. A person voting would certainly like to understand the candidates policies and approaches. I appreciate the hustings "could" have been used for this. Since that is now unlikely, could the BCA exec consider another platform to imbue us with this missing knowledge ahead of the vote?

:)

Ian

Offline 2xw

• junky
  • YUCPC, SUSS
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2021, 01:26:14 pm »
Hehe BradW is irritated that their caving website/blog hasn't been used to publish BCA news despite how difficult it is to get them to publish something that they can't editorialise  :lol:

Online Ian Ball

• forum hero
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2021, 01:33:48 pm »
Blimey! BradW isn't flavour of the month! 
A multi-pronged advertisement is obviously better but for me UkC works best.

BradW, how do you see the survey being used to advertise the hustings?  With a space for a question or just with an advert? (just to note, I've filled in the survey following a link from UkC and am still thinking of questions to add to this thread)

Using UkC, if I weren't a member would I create an account to ask a question, probably not if I'm honest, however, I don't use facebook and twitter so no mention on here and I wouldn't have heard anything as I am not very involved with BCA club/region reps.

A little tongue in cheek and certainly not in my gift to discuss but a question for the candidates:

"As UkCaving represents a communication method to a large number of British Caving Association members, would you support a BCA purchase of UkCaving.com to rebrand to the official British Caving Association Forum?"

Offline BradW

• menacing presence
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2021, 02:56:55 pm »
I am not bothered whether I am someone's favorite or not - I am not seeking election (as far as you know  :) )

I was not advocating the BCA members' survey be used to promote the hustings. The survey contains a list of communication platforms - many of these would be the options available to seek questions for the hustings. Personally, I had only spotted the request for questions here. That was the point of my post.

Offline droid

• forum hero
  • WMRG
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2021, 04:17:14 pm »
As UkCaving represents a communication method to a large number of British Caving Association members

Questionable assumption.

And yes, Ian, I AM stirring the pot. Because the pot needs stirring. The massive assumption that UKC offers a valid view of the majority opinion of BCA members needs challenging.

It offers the opinions of those gobby enough to post.

:)
No longer 'Exceptionally antagonistic' 'Deliberately inflammatory'

Online Ian Ball

• forum hero
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2021, 04:30:21 pm »
I understand your first comment Droid, and it's a fair point, but as a communication method to cavers is there a better one than UkCaving? For me there isn't, hence why I think the BCA engaging with it in the way David does is to be encouraged.

I find your second comment a little unfair, as you quoted, I did not say UkCaving was a valid view of the majority, but that it is a communication method to a large number of the BCA membership. 

Good point BradW, 10 options on there.  Hopefully the survey will give a good indicatino of how BCA should target it's membership for news. (And good luck in the election  :thumbsup: )

Offline droid

• forum hero
  • WMRG
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2021, 04:46:47 pm »
I was making a general point regarding 'opinions' Ian B.

And it was aimed at Ian A's comment.

Too many Ians  :lol:

Offline Fishes

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2021, 04:47:04 pm »
I don't think UK caving can be considered representative of BCA members. Lots of BCA members are not UK Caving members and those that are an even smaller number. Some UK caving's most frequent posters have very strong views on the BCA that do not reflect the views of the BCA members I know - most of whom just want to go caving without loads of drama.

Perhaps the best question for a potential new chair would be - How will you build a consensus that will allow the organisation to better support its general membership and officers without getting distracted by those who have more extreme views.

Offline Ian Adams

• forum hero
  • UCET
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2021, 06:37:18 pm »
And yes, Ian, I AM stirring the pot. Because the pot needs stirring.

Stir it all you like but it is hardly equitable to then say "I think British caving has had enough of this sort of thing" in the same post  :ang:

Everybody probably agrees that debate (or "stirring" if you will) is generally a good thing for any organisation. Arbitrary rule (or tyranny as it is defined) is rarely in the best interests of members.

Ian

Offline darren

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2021, 07:03:12 pm »
Doesn't matter how many times you tell administrators and keen users of ukcaving.com that it is not viewed by ( or representative of) most cavers they refuse to acknowledge or comprehend such a thing.

Eventually you stop interacting and just watch.
No, I'm playing all the right notes

Online Ian Ball

• forum hero
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2021, 07:44:01 pm »
Hi Darren, what is your preferred method of getting BCA news and for giving your opinion on BCA topics?

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2021, 08:11:40 pm »
As an administer on here all I can say is - we try.  We give BCA and other BCA constituent and regional bodies a board to use as they wish.  If they want to use any other media they can (of course) and do.  We just offer a service to cavers  (for nowt but a load of hassle BTW), thousands view it and hundreds contribute to it.  There are alternatives.  BradW has their Darkness Below site for example.  BCA have a website, facebook and Twitter pages.  They also have a sporadic newsletter and an email list which unfortunately doesn't function properly until Data Protection rules can be sorted out.

Whether folk like it or not Ukcaving is a very good place to get a message across or seek opinion.  Don't fall into the trap of blaming the messenger if you don't like what you hear on some issues.  Other channels are available and I for one would encourage caving organisations to use them all.

Good caving

Offline darren

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2021, 08:14:30 pm »
A big problem is people assuming their views and desires are representative.

Just becuase you have a interest in getting BCA news and giving feed back doesn't mean others want the same. Very occasionally I will talk to other cavers about BCA stuff only to find they have even less interest than me. This applies to at least 20 members of my club I interact with

I've made my view of BCA perfectly clear before.

My club makes me join for insurance reasons. I don't really mind the £8.00 or so that pays for the insurance cover. I very much resent the rest of my BCA membership fee which I view as a tax.

Most members of BCA only join because clubs make them. The fact that some/a lot of members only join BCA because they have to is another thing the site  admins and prolific users refuse to belive or comprehend.

It is like being in a1970 closed shop Union shouting about how many members it has.

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2021, 08:17:48 pm »
As a DIM, I maintain my membership entirely voluntarily. Because it's such good value.

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2021, 08:20:50 pm »
The good news is Darren is that you can give your opinion, unedited, on here and lots of people will read it.

Offline darren

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2021, 08:27:09 pm »
Hi Badlad

I do appreciate ukcaving as a resource and find it useful and informative. I visit it every day. I realise you and the others involved put in a lot of time and effort. I hope you don't count my comments as abuse, you don't deserve any abuse.

I do however think all users should remember we are a self selecting minority and shouldn't get above ourselves. Even within our self selecting minority we have an even smaller minority who regularly post. Others think you can't have a nuanced debate using this medium.

I would guess most posts are by made 20 members. 

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2021, 08:40:21 pm »
No worries and no offences taken.  Whatever anyone writes on here readers will make their own minds up.  I encourage all caving organisations to use as much media as possible to get their messages out.  Ukcaving is one of the best ways to do that.

I appreciate many cavers are not so entrenched in the caving world that they want to join in with any discussion whether on here or any other format.  I fully encourage a world where people just go caving and that is it.  I myself came from there and having dabbled in caving politics for a few years am firmly back in that court.  I do like to share an opinion or two though  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Russell Myers

• Craven Pothole Club
  • regular
  • Filed but not forgotten.
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2021, 09:29:17 pm »
Good news folks, after some ball juggling (I blame it on those wetsuits we used to wear with a crotch strap), Dave R has come up with a hybrid alternative to a full on "hustings" which I can work with. You will, of course, have the pleasure of my ugly mug broadcast on a Zoom recording but there is always a price to pay for most things.
Joking apart, continue to feed those questions to Dave and I'll look forward to fielding them and responding accordingly.

Kind Regards
Russell Myers
Chair
BCA 
JFK: Change is the law of life and those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

Offline Ian Adams

• forum hero
  • UCET
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2021, 10:17:28 pm »
Great news Russell and thank you  ;)

Question for both candidates;

How do your policies and approach to running the BCA differ from the other candidate?

Ian

Offline droid

• forum hero
  • WMRG
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2021, 01:41:03 am »
And yes, Ian, I AM stirring the pot. Because the pot needs stirring.

Stir it all you like but it is hardly equitable to then say "I think British caving has had enough of this sort of thing" in the same post  :ang:

Ian

I didn't say that.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Ian Adams

• forum hero
  • UCET
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2021, 07:17:59 am »
Droid,

I know you didn't say that ... within the post you quoted me from, I was specifically referring to another user who had done precisely that. You only took half of what I said when you referred to stirring the pot.

:chair:

Offline David Rose

• junky
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2021, 04:25:57 pm »
Ok chaps, the two candidates and I have now sorted out the misunderstandings that led to my original, unintentionally misleading post. The revised format for the hustings has been agreed and I will be making an announcement here, on the BCA website and on Darkness Below shortly. 

In the meantime, continue to feel free to send questions you'd like to see answered by the candidates as set out in the original post, or you can put them here.

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2021, 07:46:22 pm »
Which do the candidates prefer.  Red sauce, brown sauce or no sauce at all?  I'm serious.

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2021, 08:45:37 pm »
Q: Has BCA bloated itself waay beyond a slick/essential functional framework and become unfit for purpose by being overly bogged down with minutiae functions most/many/nearly all of which can be dispensed with and enacted into research topics when/if the need arises? BCA's functions from the perspective of normal cavers are so minimal as to be satisfactorily delivered by a team of probably 4 people. e.g. look at BCA Minutes from 10 years ago and they've become four times more in quantity since then, go back 16 years and the bloat factor in the Minutes is almost 1000%. FFS. It's like the BCA now is a talking shop which no-one needs to listen to. Cull out 90% of easily arguably non-important functions and it'll probably be where it needs to be.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal