Author Topic: Torchy  (Read 749 times)

Offline mulucaver

• stalker
  • PDMHS, BCA, CSG
    • daveclucas
Torchy
« on: May 21, 2020, 04:47:18 am »
Paul Torchy Foster has recently passed away. An avid mineral collector Torchy was a member of Pegasus and PDMHS. He spent the last 4 or 5 years in a nursing home in Stockport, his home town. He was one of last Peak District 'characters'.
Dave Clucas
Exploring the World
One Cave at a Time

Offline bograt

• forum hero
  • Speliodecrepit
Re: Torchy
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 10:01:25 am »
Very sad news, a character indeed, I really liked Torchy, R.I.P. old chap.
Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment

Offline Fishes

• regular
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 10:17:04 am »
Thanks for the update Dave. The term character definitely sums up torchy.

Offline Boy Engineer

• player
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 12:46:11 pm »
He was one of last Peak District 'characters'.

Indeed. I didn’t know him well but could pick him out in a photograph. As an innocent 17(ish) year old I was taken along to The Stags by the ‘Magpie lot’. This saw an introduction to bottled Mackeson, and to a host of other ‘characters’, including of course the OP above. I remember some of them being rather intimidating, with warnings from my mentors/minders that some could bite if provoked. A ten year age difference at that stage felt enormous; having now retired it doesn’t seem so. It certainly feels as though some of the scrapes were a bit more Technicolour back then, but that’s probably been true since people developed the ability to reflect on their past.

Offline scratch

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 06:32:55 pm »
Torchy you don't need to RIP now, have you still got that revolver I gave you.

Offline Dickie

• addict
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 09:08:04 am »
Torchy was the Eldon Hostel Warden in the 70's, when it was off the main drag in Buxton.  (Best-situated hostel in the country - over the top of a pub, next to a cafe and next to a late-night drinking hole!)
Torchy would turn up on a Friday night and often disappear for the weekend, wheeler-dealing, not necessarily all above-board allegedly!
It was rumoured he had a few tea-chests full of Blue John in a shed and had discussed mineral specimens with the Duke of Devonshire.
Being a gas fitter, he would occasionally have to go on the "snatch-back" run, repossessing gas cookers from people defaulting on their HP to the Gas Board, and then regale us with  how many times he'd got his leg over as a payment for looking the other way!
He was an avid snuff-taker for many years, possessing a wide range of brown hankies!

A loss of another real character.
Amazin Razin rools OK!

Offline Wolfo

• German bugger
  • regular
    • ArgeKH
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 10:21:02 am »
Torchy was the Eldon Hostel Warden in the 70's, when it was off the main drag in Buxton.  (Best-situated hostel in the country - over the top of a pub, next to a cafe and next to a late-night drinking hole!)

Was this the fine house with the bunk bed and a possibility to breed rabbits?
Lower Saxony - Harz Mountain Area - Germany

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search